Tuesday 20 June 2017

Just for Wedding's Sake - Episode 1




"Some say distance widens the bridge between lovers and pulls them apart, but to us, it has bridged the gap between us and strengthens us the more. I can't wait to set my eyes on you, I can't help feeling like I just fall in love with you! The same feelings I had for you six years ago when I first fall in love."

Quote by Ann: 


Nabel has been away from the country for one year. During her stay abroad, she came to term with Danny, who has been the unsteady love of her life for close to six years. With consistent communication through social media, their love for each other was many times rekindle. They could not wait to meet themselves! Now, her exchange program abroad and she is en-route to her homeland, the first person she ever wanted to meet was....


I heaved a sigh of relieve as I alighted from the flight. "Oh! At last. Thank God!" I gushed as I headed toward the airport hall to claim my luggage. Later on, I dragged my luggage towards the entrance of the airport. I found a corner and decided to stay there and wait for him. It was getting pretty late in the evening and my attention was caught by pleasantries and hugs exchanged by numerous relatives that have come to welcome and convey their loved ones home and I began to wonder what kept him from arriving soon. All of a sudden, I was engulfed by feelings I could not describe...perhaps, mixed feelings.

 "Oh God! Why am I feeling this way? Aren't you supposed to be excited?" I asked myself rhetorically. The past three days has been extremely excited for me as I couldn't wait to meet him. "I wonder what he will look like now and what he will think of my own look." I thought aloud. Aside from the few video chat we had while I was out of the country, the memory of his appearance I had was that of one year ago before I traveled abroad. I became nervous rather than excited, perhaps because I wasn't sure how our reunion will turn out to be...I never thought of that.

"Nabel". I almost jumped up from the corner I was sitting. Lo and behold he was standing before me, few foots apart, tall and elegant looking. I was still in shock not because I wasn't expecting him but because I was engrossed in my thoughts that I didn't know when he arrived. "How long have you been staring at me?" I asked, trying to compose myself. I was unsure of what next to say or do. I lost it, I thought to myself.  I had fantasied of running into his embrace and hugging him tightly with tears in my eyes because I have missed him so much. But now, it is better imagined than act. He didn't utter a word nor answer my unexpected question. Perhaps, he too was speechless. My heart ripped immediately as he stretched out his both arm. Before one could say "Jack Robinson". I rushed into his embrace and hugged him tightly.

"Fantasy come true." I said to myself while still in his embrace and then I felt this tiny tears of joy strolling down my cheek. "It's getting dark and the taxi is waiting." He said as he held my both cheeks and kissed my forehead. He dragged my big luggage while I took the small carry-on as we head where the taxi is parked. For close to fifteen minutes, there was calm silence. I was having a lot of conflicting thoughts within me and perhaps, likewise him. “Has he been dating someone else in my absence? Who wouldn’t want him, he looks more handsome, tall and broad.” I felt some twinges of jealousy in my thoughts as I fixed my gaze at the driver’s side mirror, while noting his glances slightly with the corner of my eyes. I knew he was watching my countenances but I was trying hard not to allow my thoughts surface on my facial expression. 

“Don’t worry, we have only fifteen more minutes left to reach our destination.” He assured placing his hand above my mine which was resting on my thigh. A chilled feeling ran through my spine but I tried not to show it. “How was your trip down here?” I guess he was trying to initiate a conversation. Maybe, he want to disperse the silence that has already dominated us. “It was very great.” I replied, shrugging my shoulder with broad smiles on my face. “Your smiles…you…you have not changed at all.” He pinched my cheek as his laughter echoed inside the taxi. “What do you expect?” I gave him a funny facial expression as I laughed aloud.

He has always wondered why I am always fond of smiling even at odd moments, the reason he is yet to comprehend. That’s just me. I have a way of smiling even when things are not going well. We are still conversing and laughing when the taxi pulled at one corner of a street. “There we are! Welcome back.” He announced, got down, moved to the other side and opened the car and motioned me to come down. “Thank you.” I said. I was already very tired after boarding up to several flights and now, the taxi. “Thank God for journey mercy.” I said. It’s already dark, about 7:25pm. I heaved a sigh of relieve as we proceed with the luggage towards the staircase. His room is at the fourth and last floor, hence we had little difficulty moving the luggage up. As soon as he unlocked the door and we are in, I threw myself on the bed leaving him to bring the luggage inside by himself. By the time he finished. I was almost half asleep.

“Warm or cold bath, which do you prefer?” His question arose me. I opened my eyes. “Oh! Am so tired.” I exclaimed. “Yes I know but you must take your birth while I get busy in the kitchen. Would you like cold or warm bath? He asked again. “I think cold one will be okay. The weather is very hot here." I replied, pulling myself up from the bed. “Here is towel. Just wait a minute while I fixed something.” He said, heading towards the bathroom. I quickly undressed and wrapped my body with the white towel. “Everything is set now. You go ahead and have your bath while I fix the dinner.” He moved toward the kitchen even without giving me a second look. “Thanks.” I said and dashed to the bathroom. Ten minutes after my bath, dinner was ready and we ate in silence. He finished eating before me and proceed to take his bath. I took the plate and dumped them in the sink when I finished. Immediately I was returned to the bed, I dozed off.

“What are you doing? Have you not been sleeping?” I asked lazily, pulling the blanket aside. “It’s morning, but still very early. Go back to sleep.” He replied. I tried to recollect the event of last night, then it dawn on me that he was still in the bathroom when I slept off. I looked at the wall clock and it was 3:05 am. Yes he’s right. It’s still very early but what could he be reading at this time. I wondered.  “Am fully awake now. What are you reading?” I was curious. “The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. “ He said, placing the book on the desk and heading towards the bed. “How long have you been awake?” I asked, now facing him as he sat on the bed. “Only thirty minutes. How do you feel now?” 

His eyes met mine and remained fixed. “B…better. What about you, did you sleep well?” I stammered. “Not really…” I couldn’t allow him finish. “Why…Is anything the matter?” I almost interrupted him. I was inquisitive and nervous at same time. “I was thinking of the right way to tell you this…the appropriate way to let you know that…that…” I was then impatiently waiting for him to finish his sentence. The he paused, without his eyes leaving mine. Then followed silence for few seconds. He swallowed hard. “Let’s grow old together. Please be my wife.” I heaved a sigh of relieved, then swallowed hard too. “Of course! I have already accepted to marry you long time ago. You needn’t ask me again.” He dipped his hand in his pocket, brought out a little case, took the diamond golden ring and slipped it on my finger. “You like it?” He smiled. “It’s beautiful!” I smiled too. Just then, our faces met, followed by a long passionate kiss. “Am not surprise.” I said, pulling my face from his. “About what?” he asked, still cupping my face with his hand. “This is the fourth proposal remember!” I giggled. “Indeed, you are right.” He laughed.


Watch out for Episode 2..!

This story is undiluted and comprises of the author's imagination and experience. No part of this write-up should be duplicated elsewhere. Please, make use of the comment box for you opinion, contribution and correction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Career or Passion

If you are to choose between your career and passion, which would you rather choose? Please use the comment box to share your opinion.