Tuesday 20 June 2017

Just for Wedding's Sake - Complete Episode 2




“The state of the heart could hardly be defined. The heart has its own way of making a match, gradually attaching to somewhere we least expected, thereby leaving us with little or no choice than to surrender to its influence. Indeed, the closer it becomes, the faster it adapts.”
Quote by Ann

...
Nabel has commenced her internship program with utmost enthusiasm. She couldn’t envisage for more since her place of assignment offers the much she expected. Little did knew that her internship program would be a meeting point with the man she would be attached to for the rest of her life, that’s the least she expected. However, it happened anyways, and what started as a casual phone calls and friendship began to yield…


I first met Danny at Pastoral Communication School where I was assigned for internship program after my first year in Technical Institution. He was one of the tutors there and unlike others, he never hesitated to assist me each time I face any challenge with any of the computer programs.  Three months had gone since I started my internship program and Christmas holidays was fast approaching. The school management, tutors and students alike were putting extra effort to ensure that the forthcoming end of the year and send forth party was well coordinated. It was on one of those busy days that Danny approached me and handed me a card.

“What’s this about…?” I was about to ask when he caught me short. “Do you have any intention of travelling this holidays?” He looked so inquisitive. “Em…Not really. I will be spending the holidays with my family in this town.” I replied, trying to open the card. It read, “Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.” I smiled. “Thanks for the card. Are you travelling?” I asked, looking directly at his shirt. I have always wondered why Danny has always worn nothing but long sleeve shirt. Many times I was tempted to ask him but on a second thought I dismiss the idea. After all, it was none of my business. Another thing that baffled me about him was the only time he talks with his fellow tutors is when they exchange morning greetings at the beginning of the day and goodbye at the end of the day, the rest he is either busy on the computer or in the class.

“Nabel, would you mind if we have a date during the holidays?” He was straight forward. I was more of a shock than believing my ears. It was not because it was the first time I was being asked for a date but because he was the least I expected it from. I never thought he could be that bold enough to talk to someone, let alone asking for a date. He was always by himself. “Sure, as long as we aren’t too busy with our families.” I assured him and with that we parted. Indeed, after I left Danny that day, I never gave his date request a second thought. During the holidays, I was so engrossed with the Christmas celebration, busy with preparing varieties of dishes, receiving friends, exchanging gifts and many more, totally forgetting about the date with Danny until his phone call came.

The day he finally showed up was pretty less busy. We strolled to the amusement park which was quite close by. He came with a guy he introduced as his childhood friend, best and only friend. I was somehow surprised that Danny even had a friend, owing to the way he carried himself, one would never believe he could make friends. So, you don’t have to blame me at all for thinking that way. On arriving at the park, Kenny suggested we take some pictures together before the beautiful weather faded. We all saw it as a great idea and after the taking few photograph, we went for a drink, followed by a prolong chat which lasted till it was almost late in the evening before we left the park and parted ways. I really enjoyed their company, it was more like a friends outing than a date. I was so relaxed that it didn't at all feel like a first time date with Danny. Moreover, the presence of his friend, Kenny made it the more humorous that one would wish for such meeting over again.

As soon as Christmas break was over, I resumed my internship program which remained three months to last. Danny and I was gradually becoming closer without realizing it. Within the institution, he didn’t change in his usual way of relating with other, including me, neither did he express any extra preferential treatment towards me. However, during the evening I usually receive his phone calls between 7pm – 8pm for at least twice every week. It gradually became a routine that I started anticipating toward some evenings of the week. Unaware to both of us, we were becoming somehow attached emotionally. Few months later, I completed my program and was ready to go back to school to commence my studies. It was quite difficult for me since I have grown fond of Danny but I reassured myself that, though I would be unable to see him often, he would not relent in his phone calls.

Few days before I was due to return to school, Danny invited me to his family house. I was a bit skeptical and could have declined because of my shy nature, I wasn’t sure how I could stand being introduced to his family but I was encouraged by the thought of having to see Danny again. “Wait a minute! Why did he want me to meet his family?” I was having a second thought. Ever since the last time we had a date, Danny had not treated me any different except for the phone calls, neither had he confess any love for me, it was just casual and platonic.


It was a Saturday afternoon, I followed the address and description Danny gave and succeeded in locating his family residence. I was amazed by the way the Clinton welcomed me. They were all extremely happy to meet me, the thought of which baffled me. I was only meeting them for the first time but the whole family members were present to welcome me like I were a long time distanced relation. Mrs. Clinton seemed to be the tallest woman I have ever met, still looking so elegant and agile even in her mid-fifties. “No wonder where Danny got all those long legs from.” I was thought. I tried to hide my amusement by composing myself with my usual way of smiling. I was introduced to each member of the family, including Mr. Clinton himself who appeared a bit reserved. It was then that I began to comprehend why Danny was always quiet and by himself, indeed he took after his father.

The Clinton’s comprised of three boys and two ladies, including Danny himself. They all took after their mother in their heights and complexion, except for the elder lady who took after Mr. Clinton’s dark complexion and average height. Though she was married, she was present to welcome me and that alone beat my imagination. “What a kind and lovely family.” I wondered. I joined the whole family during lunch which lasted over half an hour. Throughout the remaining time I spent with the Clinton, I felt at home as the atmosphere very friendly and relaxed but my stay was caught short by the time I realized that it was almost 7:10pm. I signaled Danny of my intention to leave then stood up, thanked them for their hospitality before bidding them good night. They all saw me to the door while Danny and Tricia, the youngest sister accompanied me till I board a taxi.

End of Episode 2!
       Watch out for Episode 3..!

This story is undiluted and comprises of the author's imagination and experience. No part of this write-up should be duplicated elsewhere. Please, make use of the comment box for you opinion, contribution and correction. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Career or Passion

If you are to choose between your career and passion, which would you rather choose? Please use the comment box to share your opinion.